Chris Edwards, Senior Engineer
Chris is a Senior Software Engineer with ThreeWill. His area of focus is consulting in the development of Microsoft .NET and SharePoint technologies. His primary role has been development lead in recent projects. Project roles have ranged from Development/Technical Lead to Development Resource. He has over twelve years of full lifecycle software development experience with the last 8 years of that time spent in software consulting.
He is certified as MCSD using Microsoft .NET and as MCTS: SharePoint Services 3.0, Application Development; Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
Read an interview of Chris or connect with Chris on
Senior Consultant – SharePoint Connector for Leading Enterprise Mashup Software Product Company
- Worked closely with architecture team to lay out an appropriate authentication strategy for the SharePoint to Mashup server integration (included SSO scenarios and non-SSO scenarios; dependent on MOSS vs. WSS selection and available user store)
- Created base-level classes to simplify common operations in the web part framework
- Integrated several patterns into the SharePoint product to streamline mapping between the Mashup product and SharePoint
- Created detailed documentation describing SharePoint and Mashup product installation, configuration, usage, and authentication scenarios
- Created QA acceptance criteria to drive testing
Senior Consultant – SharePoint Connector for Leading Social Software Product Company
- Enhanced custom RESTful service to allow documents to be added, removed, and verified in SharePoint
- Implemented a SharePoint storage provider to host binary content (images, attachments, etc.)
- Configured two multiple server virtual environments designed for demos, testing and Kerberos credential delegation (domain controller, Linux host, and SharePoint host)
- Created detailed documentation describing SharePoint and Social Software product installation, configuration, usage, and authentication scenarios
- Created NUnit tests for testing web services
- Created QA acceptance criteria to drive testing
- Helped produce and present product integration videos and conference demos
- Assisted new team members come up to speed and with product integration
Senior Consultant – Custom SharePoint Media Viewer, Data Entry, & Search Application for a Large Media Entertainment Production Company
- Sole developer for a highly customized SharePoint-based application that allows a user to view context-specific video/media, annotate details for a specific media time span, and allow for detailed search based on the annotated entry details.
- Sole developer responsible for extending an existing Silverlight media player and integrating it into a set of custom SharePoint web parts (through a SharePoint feature)
- Responsible (along with a project manager) for organizing and updating a product backlog used to track and prioritize application requirements, issues, risks, etc.
Senior Consultant – Custom SharePoint Service Site Provisioning Application for a Large Telecommunications Company
- Part of a 3-person development team responsible for design, development and deployment of a MOSS 2007 Office Business Application (OBA) to allow an Administrator to create new service-based sites based on a set of standard content.
- Responsible for extending the existing XmlFormView MOSS web part to provide seamless InfoPath form services integration without requiring code changes and additional form publishing steps by an Administrator.
Senior Consultant – Custom SharePoint Request Management Application for Manufacturing Company
- Responsible for the deployment and custom branding for a MOSS 2007 intranet portal. The custom branding included a revised color palette (custom CSS), enhanced navigation look-and-feel (custom master page), integrated flash image component, and custom application-page look-and-feel via a new HTTP module and custom application master page.
- Responsible for design, development and deployment of a MOSS 2007 intranet portal application managing new product and pricing requests. Solution utilized custom web parts and out of box MOSS Standard workflows to replace an existing solution which used email and spreadsheets as the request process. Custom web parts enabled searching external data sources for existing products and prices and enforced business rules for product and price requests.
- Responsible for design, development and deployment of a MOSS 2007 intranet portal application for searching existing products. Solution utilized custom web parts to enable searching external data sources for existing products and prices and enforced business rules for product and price requests.
Senior Consultant – SharePoint Integration with an Enterprise Wiki
- Part of a distributed development team (in Atlanta, San Francisco, and Sydney) responsible for SharePoint development effort in creating the SharePoint Connector for Confluence that integrated SharePoint with Confluence, an enterprise wiki from Atlassian.
- Created web parts showing Confluence content, integrated search between SharePoint and Confluence, and integrated authentication through NTLM or Microsoft Single Sign-on.
- Created a Java-based authenticator to enable Confluence to automatically accept Windows-based (NTLM) credentials for authentication used IntelliJ IDEA editor/IDE and Maven for builds
- Co-wrote a blog on how we did the work on the Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies Team Blog.
Senior Consultant – Forms-based User Synchronization for a National Non-Profit Company
- Responsible for developing and deploying an automated process to synchronize form-based user and user profile data from an in-house ASP.Net application to SharePoint. This included password synchronization to/from the ASP.Net application and SharePoint. The solution was implemented as a SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) package and a custom web service.
Senior Consultant – Custom SharePoint Internet Facing Site for a Local Publishing Company
- Responsible for the development of a custom branded MOSS 2007 internet site. The custom branding included a revised color palette (custom CSS), enhanced navigation look-and-feel (custom master page), and custom application-page look-and-feel via a new HTTP module and custom application master page.
- Responsible for the migration of content (from a DotNetNuke-based site) to MOSS 2007. This included preserving author, content comments, and other applicable metadata related to user-generated articles, reports, pictures, etc.
Senior Consultant – Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007 Intranet Portal Implementation for Internet Based Communications Platform Company
- Responsible for the installation and basic configuration of a MOSS 2007 intranet portal.
- Responsible for the analysis, design, and creation of initial site structure using MOSS 2007 and SharePoint Designer 2007. The initial site design was patterned after the organizational structure and relied on standard MOSS 2007 features.
- Responsible for the meta-data design, mapping rules, and overall migration strategy for migrating documents captured in Groove workspaces into SharePoint document libraries. The document libraries were configured within the respective site design described in the previous bullet. The migration relied on custom content types to relate to category-specific meta-data.
- Responsible for initial mentoring related to SharePoint document library usage (versioning, check-out/check-in, search by content type, etc.).
- Responsible for helping configure MOSS 2007 Enterprise Search to allow users to search for documents by new content type and new meta-data values.
- Responsible for analysis, design, implementation, and deployment of 3 custom SharePoint hosted workflows (PTO Approval, Employee On-Boarding, and Employee Off-Boarding). The workflows were developed with Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) and Visual Studio 2005.
Senior Consultant – Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007 Extranet Portal Prototype for Internet Based Communications Platform Company
- Responsible for collaborating on design and implementation of a MOSS 2007 collaborative extranet portal prototype. The prototype was designed to represent the value of a highly interactive, collaborative environment and operation within the boundaries of strict regulatory constraints.
- Responsible for communicating the out-of-the-box boundaries of the MOSS 2007 platform when evaluating features to include in the portal prototype.
- Responsible for deploying the entire portal site (site collection) onto a laptop that could easily be used for demonstration purposes while not attached to the Internet.
Senior Consultant – Email Notification Project for Internet Based Communications Platform Company
- Responsible for designing, implementing, and documenting an Email Notification system to distribute personalized meeting notifications for individual users (subscribers). The implementation was based on SQL Server 2005 Notification Services.
- Responsible for designing and implementing a subscription management interface (SMI) for an Email Notification system. The SMI had to fit within the structure of an existing service-oriented architecture and use the underlying SQL Server 2005 Notification Services API.
- Responsible for documenting both the design and infrastructure/configuration of the Email Notification system and subscription management interface described in the previous two bullets.
Senior Consultant – Software Collaboration Project for Fortune 100 Global Auditing and Risk Services Company
- Responsible for participating on a small team to organize, design, and implement a service layer to facilitate an auditing engagement lifecycle. This involved continuous coordination with the individual teams requiring access to the service functionality.
- Responsible for participating on a small team to research and report on specific design and performance-related functionality. This involved strategically focused proof-of-concept work used to drive business and technical decisions.
- Responsible for participating on a medium-size team to develop a major portion of a line-of-business application used to organize “occasionally connected” auditing teams.
Senior Consultant – Software Configuration Management Project for Fortune 100 Computer Hardware Company
- Responsible for evaluating, documenting, and harvesting Software Configuration Management “best practices” for use within large technology services delivery organization.
- Responsible for a SharePoint migration of 50+ sub-webs to a new domain and server infrastructure.
Senior Consultant (Development Lead) – Line of Business Applications for Fortune 100 Pharmaceutical Company
- Responsible for leading a small team to develop an application used to capture worldwide regional qualitative data for individual pharmaceutical products. The main development tools involved were Visual Studio .NET 2003, ASP.NET, and SQL Server 2000.
- Responsible for participating on a small team to develop an application used to capture worldwide regional financial and qualitative pharmaceutical data. The main development tools involved were Visual Studio .NET 2003, ASP.NET, and SQL Server 2000.
- Responsible for refining and optimizing the build process for several applications, including the applications mentioned above. The main tools used were Visual Studio .NET 2003, Kinook Visual Build, Visual SourceSafe, and VBScript.
Senior Consultant – CRM for Transaction Processing and Settlement Company
- Responsible for creating an Enterprise build and deployment process for a large custom CRM product. This involved a complete .NET component-based deployment system designed/documented with Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and developed using C#, ASP.NET, 1.0/1.1 .NET Framework, SQL Server 2000, VBScript, and XML/XSLT.
- Responsible for creating a UI designer tool used to initially define the user interface for the first release of the CRM product. Also responsible for developing and maintaining internal tools used to facilitate integration of the CRM product.
- Responsible for the configuration and maintenance of a standardized development environment. This involved tools such as Ghost, Visual SourceSafe, and extensive use of VBScript and automated script generation.
Consultant – Software Configuration Management Project for S&P 400 Business Services Company
- Responsible for ensuring a new build of components could be automatically installed, configured, and tested in a well-defined, imaged (ghost) environment (involved extensive scripting and system-level automation.
- Responsible for documenting deployment package installation procedures for both developers and operations.
- Supported developers with installation and configuration problems.
Senior Programmer/Analyst – Data and Application Conversion Projects for S&P 600 Consumer Services Company
- Responsible for the design, plan, and initial implementation of a data and application conversion for approximately 200 retail store locations.
- Responsible for reviewing and updating all critical applications for Y2K issues.
- Assisted several business and technical coworkers to communicate the value proposition of a corporate intranet.
Information Systems Programmer/Analyst – Customer Services Applications for S&P 500 Electric Utilities Company
- Designed, developed, and maintained several critical Intranet web applications (customer profile tool, system status tool, etc.) for the Customer Services System using a component-based approach.
- Continued maintenance of multiple critical interfaces between the company mainframe (using DB2 and COBOL) and internal/external business clients (see below).
Information Systems Programmer/Analyst – Client Interface Projects for S&P 500 Electric Utilities Company
- Designed, developed, and maintained multiple critical interfaces between the company mainframe (using DB2 and COBOL) and internal/external business clients.
- Managed delivery of interface design and implementation with several of the external business clients.
Application Programmer – Medical Claims Application for Government Agency
- Worked on the New Mexico (NM) Medicaid claims processing team with primary responsibilities around managing recipient data.
- Designed and developed COBOL programs and JCL to support the NM claims processing system.
- Designed and developed CICS-based screens for the NM claims processing system.
- Provided day and rotating evening support for the NM claims processing system.
Co-op Student – Mainframe Projects for Government Agency
- Performed mainframe job scheduling and monitoring tasks.
- Performed tape mounting and maintenance tasks in a tape library.
- Wrote COBOL programs and JCL to produce reports.
- Wrote documentation for mainframe shutdown/startup (IPL procedures).
Technical Seminar Series – Enterprise Workflow
- Presented on Enterprise workflow at a ThreeWill-hosted seminar sharing real life project experience and examples that highlighted key features of Windows Workflow Foundation (WF). The presentation also discussed integration of WF with SharePoint (WSS and MOSS).
The Next Level – SharePoint 2007 Seminar
- Co-presented 4 of 8 major topics in a Microsoft/ThreeWill joint seminar sharing real life project experience and examples that highlighted key features of Windows SharePoint Services v3 (WSS v3) and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (MOSS 2007) that allow companies to use a single platform for their organization. Topics included SharePoint Security, Communities and Collaboration, Enterprise Content Management, and Enterprise Search.
- “Integrating Content and Search Results with SharePoint” – Dot Net Developer’s Journal – Part 1: Nov/Dec 2007, Part 2: March 2008. Co-authored with Kirk Liemohn
- “SharePoint Connector for Confluence – How We Did It” – Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies Team Blog -http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2008/01/10/sharepoint-connector-for-confluence-how-we-did-it.aspx. Co-authored with Kirk Liemohn
B. S. Computer Information Systems, University of West Florida
- Cooperative Plan
- Business Minor
- Microsoft Certified Solution Developer for .NET (MCSD)
- Technology Specialist (MCTS): WSS 3.0 Application Development
- Technology Specialist (MCTS): Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
Visual Studio.NET (2003, 2005, 2008), SubVersion (SVN), SharePoint Designer 2007, STSDEV (in CodePlex), SharePoint Solution Generator, Lutz Reflector, InfoPath 2007, IntelliJ IDEA, Maven, Kinook Visual Build, NetBeans 6, and Oxygen XML Author
SharePoint 2003/2007 (WSS, MOSS), Silverlight 2.0, AJAX, InfoPath Forms Services, .NET, .NET Remoting, Web Services, Windows Server 2003/2008, Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), Confluence, Groove Virtual Office, Groove Enterprise Data Bridge (EDB), COM/MTS, COM+, XML, Active Directory, JCL, SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008 (including Reporting Services/SSRS, Integration Services/SSIS, and Notification Services/SSNS), Spring, Kerberos authentication & credential delegation, andÂ Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA)
Windows 2008/2003/2000/NT/98, OS-390, IIS, Apache, CentOS Linux 5, and VMWare Server 2
Full Software Development Lifecycle, Agile/Scrum, Object-Oriented Programming